WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oregon

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 5, 2023

Will I have to face the abuser in court?

The abuser has the right to request a hearing and challenge your ex parte sexual abuse protective order. If the abuser requests a hearing, you will receive notice of the time and date of the hearing.1

If there is going to be a hearing, you have the option of filing a request asking the judge to allow you to appear at the hearing (or to have a witness appear at the hearing) by telephone or some other two-way communication device instead of appearing in person. The judge will decide if there is good cause to allow you or your witness to appear by telephone and will consider whether or not the safety or welfare of you or your witness would be threatened by requiring you to appear in person.2

1 ORS § 163.765(6)(a), (6)(b)
2 ORS § 163.770(1), (3)