WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oregon

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
December 5, 2023

Can I get my restraining order enforced in Oregon? What are the requirements?

Your restraining order can be enforced in Oregon as long as:

  • It was issued to prevent violent or threatening acts, harassing behavior, sexual violence, or it was issued to prevent another person from coming near you or contacting you.1
  • The court that issued the order had jurisdiction over the people and case. (In other words, the court had the authority to hear the case.)
  • The abuser received notice of the order and had an opportunity to go to court to tell his/her side of the story.
    • In the case of ex parte temporary and emergency orders, the abuser must receive notice and have an opportunity to go to court to tell his/her side of the story at a hearing that is scheduled before the temporary order expires.2

Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.

1 18 U.S.C. § 2266(5);O.R.S. § 24.190(1)(b)(A)
2 18 U.S.C. § 2265(a) & (b)

Can I have my out-of-state restraining order changed, extended, or canceled in Oregon?

Only the state that issued your restraining order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Oregon.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. You will need to contact the clerk of court in your area to find out if this is possible. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the “Restraining Order” page, under the Know the Laws tab, for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Oregon, you may be able to get a new one issued in Oregon but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred while you have been in Oregon. To find out more information on how to get a restraining order in Oregon, visit our OR Restraining Order page. You can also contact a domestic violence organization in Oregon for help with filing a restraining order. See OR Advocates and Shelters.

I was granted temporary custody with my out-of-state restraining order. Will I still have temporary custody of my children in Oregon?

As long as the child custody provision complies with certain federal laws,1 Oregon can enforce a temporary custody order that is a part of a protection order.

To have someone read over your order and tell you if it meets these standards, contact a lawyer in your area. To find a lawyer in your area click here OR Finding a Lawyer.

1 The federal laws are the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA) or the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), and the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act of 1980.