WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oregon

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 5, 2023

What happens if I move? Is my order still valid?

Your order is good everywhere in Oregon and in the U.S. The federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands. Different states may have different rules for enforcing out-of-state protection orders. If you are moving out of state, you may want to call the domestic violence organization in the state where you are going to find out how that state treats out-of-state orders. Go to our Advocates and Shelters page and enter your state in the drop-down menu. You may also want to call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x 2) if you have any questions.

Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.