WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oregon

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 5, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state restraining order changed, extended, or canceled in Oregon?

Only the state that issued your restraining order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Oregon.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. You will need to contact the clerk of court in your area to find out if this is possible. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the “Restraining Order” page, under the Know the Laws tab, for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Oregon, you may be able to get a new one issued in Oregon but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred while you have been in Oregon. To find out more information on how to get a restraining order in Oregon, visit our OR Restraining Order page. You can also contact a domestic violence organization in Oregon for help with filing a restraining order. See OR Advocates and Shelters.