WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nevada

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
January 9, 2024

What happens if I move?

Federal law provides what is called full faith and credit, which means that once you have an order for protection, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. territories and tribal lands.

Different states have different rules for enforcing out-of-state orders for protection.  You can find out about your new state’s policies by contacting a domestic violence program, the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in your new area.  You might also want to call the court where you received the order to tell them your new address so that they can contact you if necessary.  However, before doing so, be sure to ask how to keep this information confidential so that the abuser couldn’t access the court file and see it.

Please see our Moving to Another State with an NV Order for Protection page for more information.