WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nevada

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of January 9, 2024

Can an order for protection be changed or ended early?

At any time while the extended order is in effect, the petitioner or the abuser can file in court to ask the judge to change (modify) the order or to ask for the order to be ended (dissolved) if there has been a change of circumstances. There would then be a hearing where both parties can appear in court and the judge would decide whether or not to modify or dissolve the order.1

1 N.R.S. § 200.3782(5)

What can I do if the abuser violates the order for protection against sexual assault?

If you believe the abuser has violated the order, you can immediately call the police. If an abuser has been served with a copy of the order for protection against sexual assault and violates the order, the police can immediately arrest him/her.1

You can also file a motion (legal papers) in the court that issued the order to ask that the abuser be held in contempt of court, which basically means that you are asking that s/he be punished for violating the court order. The court will review your motion and decide whether or not there will be a hearing.2 If there is a hearing, you would present evidence about how the abuser violated the order, the abuser would present his/her defense, and the judge would decide whether the order was violated and what punishment should be given to the abuser.

1 N.R.S. § 200.3783(2)
2 See the Clark County Courts website for more information