WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nevada

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of January 9, 2024

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in NV?

Only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order.  You cannot have this done by a court in Nevada.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Nevada, you may be able to get a new one issued in NV but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in NV.  To find out more information on how to get an order for protection in Nevada, visit our NV Orders for Protection Against Domestic Violence page.