WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nevada

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of January 9, 2024

Can I get my order for protection from Nevada enforced in another state?

If you have a valid Nevada order for protection that meets federal standards, it can be enforced in another state. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which is a federal law, states that all valid orders for protection granted in the United States receive “full faith and credit” in all state and tribal courts within the U.S., including U.S. territories, which means that each state must enforce out-of-state orders for protection in the same way it enforces its own orders. (See the next question to find out if your order for protection qualifies.) Therefore, if the abuser violates your out-of-state order for protection, s/he will be punished according to the laws of whatever state you are in when the order is violated.1

1 18 U.S.C. § 2265(a),(b)