Legal Information: Nevada

Restraining Orders

View all
March 26, 2018

What can I do if the abuser violates the order?

You can call the police, even if you think it is a minor violation. An abuser can be arrested and charged with a violation of the order. The NV police can make an arrest with or without a warrant and regardless of whether or not the violation occurs in the officer’s presence.1

It is a good idea to write down the name of the responding officer(s) and their badge number(s) in case you want to follow up on your case.

Nevada state law requires the police to fill out a report for all domestic violence-related calls.2 Make sure a police report is filed even if no arrest is made. It can help you later if the abuser continues to violate the order for protection.

Another option is to file a violation petition in court and ask that the abuser be held in contempt of court for violating the order. If the judge finds him/her in contempt, the judge can order various penalties against the abuser.

1 N.R.S. § 33.070(1)
2 N.R.S. § 171.1227(1)