WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Nevada

Restraining Orders

View all
July 14, 2020

What can I do if the abuser violates the order for protection against sexual assault?

If you believe the abuser has violated the order, you can immediately call the police. If an abuser has been served with a copy of the order for protection against sexual assault and violates the order, the police can immediately arrest him/her.1

You can also file a motion (legal papers) in the court that issued the order to ask that the abuser be held in contempt of court, which basically means that you are asking that s/he be punished for violating the court order. The court will review your motion and decide whether or not there will be a hearing.2 If there is a hearing, you would present evidence about how the abuser violated the order, the abuser would present his/her defense, and the judge would decide whether the order was violated and what punishment should be given to the abuser.

1 N.R.S. § 200.3783(2)
2 See the Clark County Courts website for more information