WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nevada

Restraining Orders

View all
January 9, 2024

What is the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Registry? Who has access to it?

The National Crime Information Center Registry (NCIC) is a nationwide, electronic database used by law enforcement agencies in the U.S, Canada, and Puerto Rico. It is managed by the FBI and state law enforcement officials.

Before moving to Nevada, the state that issued your protection order may already have entered your order into the NCIC. If not, your order will be entered into the NCIC once your order is registered in Nevada.

All law enforcement officials have access to the NCIC database, but the information is encrypted so outsiders cannot access it.

How do I register my protection order in Nevada?

You can register any order for protection against domestic violence issued by the court of another state, territory or Indian tribe within the United States or a Canadian domestic-violence protection order.  To register your order, you need to take a certified copy of your order to the clerk of the county or district court where you think enforcement may be necessary.  The clerk will then register your order and give you a certified copy of the registered order.1

The court will forward a copy of the order to law enforcement in your area.2  You might want to forward a copy to more than one county’s law enforcement to make enforcing the order easier if you are often in another county (such as where you work or go to school, where your children go to school, etc.).

The protection order will also be registered in the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History,3 which should be accessible by an officer anywhere in Nevada.

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Nevada for assistance.  You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our NV Advocates and Shelters page.

1 N.R.S. §§ 33.090(1),(2)(a)-(b)
2 N.R.S. § 33.090(2)(c)
3 N.R.S. § 33.090(2)(d)

Do I have to register my protection order in Nevada in order to get it enforced?

Nevada state law gives full protection to an out-of-state order for protection.1 Your order does not have to be entered into the state or federal registry in order to be enforced by a Nevada police officer, but the officer does need to believe that it is a valid (real) order.2 It may be easier for an officer to enforce your order if it contains the following information:

  • Your name;
  • The abuser’s name;
  • Something that says your order is still valid (the expiration date is for some time in the future);
  • Something that says the court that issued your order is a valid court, such as a stamp, seal, or signature that a court official placed on it.3

You might also be able get your order enforced even if you don’t have a copy of it with you. You can ask the officer to call the court that issued your order to confirm that it is real.4 It might be a good idea to keep that number on hand.

1 N.R.S. § 33.085(1)
2 N.R.S. § 33.085(5)
3 N.R.S. § 33.085(3)(a)-(c)
4 N.R.S. § 33.085(4)(c)

Will the abuser be notified if I register my protection order?

Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which applies to all U.S. states and territories, the court is not permitted to notify the abuser when a protective order has been registered or filed in a new state unless you specifically request that the abuser be notified.1  However, you may wish to confirm that the clerk is aware of this law before registering the order if your address is confidential.

However, remember that there may be a possibility that the abuser could somehow find out what state you have moved to.  It is important to continue to safety plan, even if you are no longer in the state where the abuser is living.  We have some safety planning tips to get you started on our Staying Safe page.  You can also contact a local domestic violence organization to get help in developing a personalized safety plan. You will find contact information for organizations in your area on our NV Advocates and Shelters page.

1 18 USC § 2265(d)

Does it cost anything to register my protection order?

There is no fee for registering your protection order in Nevada.1

1 N.R.S. § 33.090(3)(a)

What if I don't register my protection order? Will it be more difficult to have it enforced?

While neither federal law nor Nevada state law requires that you register your protection order in order to get it enforced, if your order is not entered into the state registry, it may be more difficult for a Nevada law enforcement official to determine whether your order is real.  Meaning, it could take longer to get your order enforced.

If you are unsure about whether registering your order is the right decision for you, you may want to contact a local domestic violence organization in your area.  An advocate there can help you decide what the safest plan of action is for you in Nevada.  To see a list of local domestic violence organizations in Nevada, go to our NV Advocates and Shelters page.

I was granted temporary custody with my out-of-state protection order.  Will I still have temporary custody of my children in NV?

As long as the child custody provision complies with certain federal laws,1 Nevada can enforce a temporary custody order that is a part of a protection order.

To have someone read over your order and tell you if it meets these standards, contact a lawyer in your area.  To find a lawyer in your area click here NV Finding a Lawyer.

1 The federal laws are the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA) or the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), and the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act of 1980.