WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
April 8, 2020

Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to file for a protection from stalking, sexual assault, or human trafficking order but it is generally better to have one if you can, especially if the abuser has an attorney. In many places, local domestic violence or sexual assault programs can help you file for an order.

Please keep in mind that courthouse officials and domestic violence advocates who are not lawyers cannot give you legal advice or represent you in court. You will find a list of legal organizations that might be able to help you at the KS Finding a Lawyer page. You can also find contact information for the courthouse in your area at the KS Courthouse Locations page. You can download the petition on our KS Download Court Forms page or you can get them at the courthouse.

If you are going to be in court without a lawyer, our Preparing for Court – By Yourself section may be useful to you.