Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
June 21, 2021

How do I register my protection order in Kansas? Do I have to do so?

You have the option to (but are not required to) register a foreign protection order in Kansas.  There is no fee to register the order.1  To register a foreign protection order in Kansas, you must present a certified copy of the order to the sheriff in the county where the protection order will be enforced.  The sheriff will contact the courthouse where your order was issued to verify that the order is real and request that they enter the order (if it has not already been entered) into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Registry and other appropriate databases.1  

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Kansas for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our KS Advocates and Shelters Page page.

1 Kan. Stat. § 60-31b05(a),(b)
2 Kan. Stat. § 60-3112

WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.