Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
June 21, 2021

How can I change or extend my protection from stalking,sexual assault, or human trafficking order?

Changing an order
An order can be changed by a judge at any time upon a motion (a formal request filed in court) by either you or the defendant.1

Extending an order
To extend your order, you must apply for the extension before the expiration of your one-year order. If you request it, a judge may extend your order by granting a renewal for one additional year.2 An order can be extended for at least two years and at most, for the lifetime of the defendant if you can prove:

  • the defendant violated a valid protection order (either the current order or a prior order); or
  • the defendant has been convicted of a “person felony” or any conspiracy, criminal solicitation, or attempt of a “person felony” against you or any member of your household.3

1 Kan. Stat. § 60-31a06(e)
2 Kan. Stat. § 60-31a06(b), (c)
3 Kan. Stat. § 60-31a06(d)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.