Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
May 6, 2022

How do I change or extend my order?

To change (“modify”) your order, you can go back to the court where you got it and file a modification petition with the clerk. The judge can modify an order at any time based on a motion filed by either party.1

To extend your order, you can file for an extension/renewal before your original order expires. If you request it, a judge may extend your order by granting a renewal for one additional year.2 An order can be extended for at least two years and at most, for the lifetime of the abuser if you can prove:

  1. the abuser violated a valid protection order, either the current order or a prior order; or
  2. the abuser has been convicted of a “person felony” or any conspiracy, criminal solicitation or attempt of a “person felony” against you or any member of your household.3

For advice about your particular situation, please talk to a lawyer. You can find lawyer referrals on our KS Finding a Lawyer page.

1 Kan. Stat. § 60-3107(f)
2 Kan. Stat. § 60-3107(e)(1)
3 Kan. Stat. § 60-3107(e)(2)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.