WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
November 15, 2023

Step 4: The protection from abuse order hearing

On the day of the hearing, you must go to the hearing to ask to have your temporary order turned into a final PFA order, which can last for up to one year.1

If you do not go to the hearing, your temporary order will expire and you will have to start the process all over again. If the abuser does not show up for the hearing, the judge may enter a “default” order, granting you what you requested in your petition. The judge may also decide to postpone the date of the hearing in order to be able to hear testimony from the abuser. If the judge postpones the hearing, be sure that your temporary order is extended until the next court date.

You may wish to hire a lawyer to help with your case, especially if the abuser has a lawyer. If the abuser shows up with a lawyer, you can ask the judge for a “continuance” so that you have time to find a lawyer. Go to KS Finding a Lawyer to find help in your area.

You can also read through the At the Hearing section for ways you can show the judge that you were abused - this may be especially helpful if you are representing yourself. You can learn more about the court system in our Preparing for Court – By Yourself section.

1 Kan. Stat. § 60-3107(e)