Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
June 21, 2021

What can I do if the abuser violates the order?

If the defendant violates the PFA order, you can call 911 immediately. In some cases, the defendant can be arrested right away. Tell the officers you have a PFA and the defendant is violating it. Violating a PFA order can be a class A person misdemeanor. Violation of an extended PFA, which was extended for at least 2 years due to the defendant violating the first order or due to him/her being convicted of certain crimes against you, can be a level 6, person felony.1

Another option can be to file for civil contempt in the court that issued the PFA order for a violation of the order.2 The abuser can be held in “civil contempt” if s/he does anything that your PFA order orders him/her not to do. To file for civil contempt, go to the clerk’s office and ask for the petition to file for claiming a violation of the order. The violation petition and a summons must be served upon the abuser, or the court may issue a warrant for his/her arrest.

1 Kan. Stat. § 21-5924(b)
2 See Kan. Stat. § 60-3110

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.