WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 15, 2023

What protections can I get in a protection from abuse order?

A protection from abuse order can:

  • order the abuser not to abuse, bother (“molest”), or interfere with the privacy or rights of you or your children;
  • order the abuser to be removed (“excluded”) from your shared home and give you possession of the home1 unless you are not married to the abuser and the abuser owns the home, then this will not be ordered;2
  • order the abuser to not cancel utility service to the home for 60 days;
  • require the abuser to provide alternate housing for you and your children;
  • order the police to remove the abuser from the home and help you return to the home;
  • decide the possession of shared personal property including a car and household goods, and order law enforcement to help get that property, if necessary;
  • establish temporary custody and visitation rights of your children;
  • order temporary child support and, if you are married, spousal support;
  • require the abuser to seek batterers’ counseling;
  • order either you or the abuser to pay the other’s attorney’s fees; and
  • order the abuser to do anything else the judge decides is necessary to protect you and your children.1 Be sure to ask for anything else you think is important.

1 Kan. Stat. § 60-3107(a)
2 Kan. Stat. § 60-3107(d)