WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 15, 2023

Step 3: Service of process

The abuser must be served with a notice of hearing and the temporary PFA order if the judge has granted you once. If the abuser does not receive notice, the hearing will be rescheduled. If this happens, be sure to request that your temporary order be extended until the full hearing can take place.

The court may send copies of the order and notice of hearing to the sheriff, and then law enforcement personnel will serve the abuser.

In addition, you may have to provide some contact information for the defendant/abuser so the police or sheriff can find him/her such as his/her address, birth date, etc. Do not try to serve the abuser yourself.

You can find more information about service of process in our Preparing for Court – By Yourself section, in the question called What is service of process and how do I accomplish it?