WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
November 15, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Kansas?

Generally, only the state that issued your out-of-state (“foreign”) protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to change a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order expires while you are living in Kansas, you may be able to get a new one in Kansas, but this may be difficult if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in the state. For more information on how to get a protective order in Kansas, visit our KS Protection from Abuse Orders page.