WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Missouri

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
January 1, 2024

Can I get an order of protection against a minor?

Anyone, an adult or a minor, can get an order of protection against a minor, which is someone who is under age 17. Unlike most states, in Missouri, age 17 is considered to be an adult.1 An ex parte order of protection or an order of protection for a child can be issued against a minor in circuit court and then the case will be transferred to juvenile court for the hearing on a full order of protection.2 The judge will appoint a guardian ad litem for any minor respondent who is not represented by a parent or guardian.3

Note: If you are serving an order against a minor, you would serve the minor’s custodial parent, guardian, or guardian ad litem. The court papers will say that the parent or guardian must appear in court and bring the minor-respondent to court at the time and place stated. However, if the minor is emancipated, then you would serve him/her.4

1 MO ST § 455.010(3)
2 MO ST §§ 455.035(3); 455.513(4)
3 MO ST § 455.035(3)
4 MO ST § 455.035(2)