WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Missouri

Restraining Orders

View all
January 1, 2024

What is the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Registry? Who has access to it?

The National Crime Information Center Registry (NCIC) is a nationwide electronic database used by law enforcement agencies in the U.S, Canada, and Puerto Rico. It is managed by the FBI and state law enforcement officials.

Before moving to Missouri, the state that issued your protection order may already have entered your order into the NCIC. If not, your order could be entered into the NCIC if you register it in Missouri. Most law enforcement officials have access to the NCIC database, but the information is encrypted so outsiders cannot access it.

How do I register my protection order in Missouri?

Registering your out-of-state order in Missouri is not necessary to get it enforced.1 (An out-of-state order is also called a “foreign” order.) If you decide that you do want to register it with a court in Missouri, you can file a certified copy of your out-of-state protection order and a sworn statement (affidavit) saying the protection order is a true and accurate copy and has not been changed by the circuit court that granted the order. If the order ends before the expiration date, you are supposed to notify the court.2 It does not cost anything to file the order in Missouri.3 Please see our MO Courthouse Locations page to find contact information for courthouses in Missouri.

Note: It might be a good idea to bring photo identification with you when you go to register your order at the courthouse. If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Missouri for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our MO Advocates and Shelters page.

1 MO Statutes § 455.067(4)
2 MO Statutes § 455.067(2)
3 MO Statutes § 455.067(3)

Do I have to register my protection order in Missouri in order to get it enforced?

You do not need to register your out-of-state order in Missouri to get it enforced.1 Missouri state law gives full protection to an out-of-state protection order as long as:

  • you can show the law enforcement officer a certified copy of the order;2 and
  • the order is still in effect.3

Note: An out-of-state order does not have to be entered into the state or federal registry in order to be enforced by a Missouri police officer.4

1 MO Statutes § 455.067(4)
2 MO Statutes § 455.083
3 MO Statutes § 455.067(2)
4 See MO Statutes §§ 455.067(1); 455.083

Will the abuser be notified if I register my protection order?

Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which applies to all U.S. states and territories, the court is not permitted to notify the abuser when a protective order has been registered or filed in a new state unless you specifically request that the abuser be notified.1 However, you may wish to confirm that the clerk is aware of this law before registering the order if your address is confidential.

However, remember that there may be a possibility that the abuser could somehow find out what state you have moved to.  It is important to continue to safety plan, even if you are no longer in the state where the abuser is living.  We have some safety planning tips to get you started on our Safety Tips page.  You can also contact a local domestic violence organization to get help in developing a personalized safety plan. You will find contact information for organizations in your area on our MO Advocates and Shelters page.

1 18 USC § 2265(d)

If I don't register my protection order, will it be more difficult to have it enforced?

It should not be more difficult to get your protection order enforced, whether or not it is registered. However, registering the order could make it easier for the local law enforcement to find your order and know that it is a valid order. Law enforcement officers are required to enforce an out-of-state protection order in the same way they enforce a Missouri order. While officers can rely on a regular copy of a Missouri order, they may ask for a certified copy of an out-of-state order.1

If you are unsure about whether registering your order is the right decision for you, you may want to contact a local domestic violence organization in your area. An advocate there can help you decide what the safest plan of action is for you in Missouri. To see a list of local domestic violence organizations in Missouri, go to our MO State and Local Programs page.

1 MO ST § 455.083