WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Missouri

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of January 1, 2024

I have a temporary ex parte order. Can it be enforced in another state?

An ex parte temporary order can be enforced in other states as long as it meets the requirements listed in How do I know if my order of protection is good under federal law?

Note: The state where you are going generally cannot extend your ex parte temporary order or issue you a permanent order when the temporary one expires. If you need to extend your temporary order, you will have to contact the state that issued the order and arrange to be at the hearing. You may need to appear in person or, if the judge allows it, by telephone or video call. However, you may be able to reapply for an order in the new state you are moving to if you meet the requirements for getting a protective order in that state. If you apply in the new state, though, the abuser would know what state you are living in, which may put you in danger.

18 U.S.C. § 2265(a) & (b)