WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Missouri

Restraining Orders

View all
December 11, 2020

Do I need a special copy of my order of protection to get it enforced?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your order. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it.  In Missouri, a certified order has a stamped seal on it.  The copy you originally received from court may not be a certified copy. If your copy is not a certified copy, you can call or go to the court that gave you the order and ask the clerk’s office for a certified copy.  Go to our MO Courthouse Locations page for contact information.