WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Missouri

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of January 1, 2024

Can I get an order of protection when the courthouse is closed?

When the circuit court is closed after business hours or on holidays or weekends, you can file a petition asking for an order of protection in any available court in the city or county that has power (jurisdiction) to hear the petition. A judge in the available court can issue an ex parte order of protection. (You can also file a motion for a hearing on a violation of an order of protection in the same way.)1 During hours when the circuit court is closed, a clerk and judge must be on call to process petitions in cases of emergency. In St. Louis City and County, the filing is done at a police station when the courthouse is closed. In some of the outlying counties, it is done by the Sheriff’s Department. Go to MO Sheriff Departments to find the one in your county.

MO ST § 455.030(1)