WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Missouri

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of January 1, 2024

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Missouri?

Generally, to have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You likely cannot have this done by a court in Missouri.

If your order expires while you are living in Missouri, you may be able to get a new one issued in Missouri, but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Missouri. To find out more information on how to get an order of protection in Missouri, visit our Restraining Orders page.