Legal Information: Federal


View all
August 15, 2022

If I am the parent or step-parent of an abuser, do I qualify?

If you answer “yes” to any of the questions below, you may qualify for a VAWA self-petition but keep in mind that your abusive child or step-child must be age 21 or older:

  • Is your abusive child a US citizen? Note: If your abusive child is a legal permanent resident, you do not qualify.
  • Did your abusive US citizen child die within the past two years?
  • Did your abusive US citizen child lose his/her status within the past two years because of abuse?1

1 INA § 204(a)(1)(A)(vii)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.