WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal


View all
Laws current as of August 15, 2022

If I receive public benefits for myself or for my child, can I still get a U visa?

Receiving public benefits for yourself or on behalf of your children will not affect your U visa petition.1 U visa petitioners are not required to show that they can financially support themselves, so it does not matter if you or your family members receive public benefits. However, you should only apply for public benefits that you or your family members are actually eligible for. If you lie in order to get public benefits, it could affect your U visa petition and you could be criminally charged.

1 INA § 212(a)(4)(E)(ii)