WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal


View all
Laws current as of September 18, 2019

I have T visa status. Can I work legally in the U.S.?

If the government gives you T visa status, you are automatically granted an employment authorization document (EAD) and you can legally work in the U.S. You do not need to fill out separate paperwork to get employment authorization; your T-visa application also acts as an application for employment authorization.1

If you asking for your family members (“derivatives”) to also get T visa status, work authorization does not come automatically with derivative T visa status. They will have to ask for work authorization and pay a fee for each family member’s work authorization.2 See How much does it cost to apply for a T visa? Can I get a fee waiver? for information about the fees.

1 8 C.F.R. § 214.11(d)(11)
2 8 C.F.R. § 214.11(k)(10)