WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal


View all
May 17, 2021

If I am married, can I still qualify as an “abused child”?

In order to qualify for a self-petition as the abused child of a US citizen or legal permanent resident, you must be unmarried at the time of filing the self-petition and remain unmarried until it has been approved. It is okay to get married after your self-petition is granted.1

1 INA § 204(h)