Legal Information: Federal


View all
May 17, 2013

What are the benefits of asylum status?

If the asylum application is approved, you will be:

  • Granted legal status in the U.S.;
  • Granted work authorization (an Employment Authorization Document (EAD));1 and
  • After one year of being granted the asylum, eligible to apply for legal permanent residency (green card).2Note: When you apply for a green card (permanent residence), your spouse and children are also eligible to apply for a green card if they were admitted to the United States as asylees or were included in your grant of asylum.3

For a more complete list of benefits, you can go to the USCIS website’s “Benefits and Responsibilities of Asylees” page.

1 8 U.S.C. § 1158(c)(1)(B)
2 8 CFR 209.2(a)
3USCIS website