Legal Information: Federal


View all
May 21, 2013

How do I apply for refugee status?

You must receive a referral to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) for consideration as a refugee.  For more information on the referral criteria, see the “USRAP Consultations and Worldwide Processing Priorities” on the USCIS website.  If you receive a referral, you will receive help filling out your application and then be interviewed abroad by a USCIS officer who will determine whether or not you are eligible for refugee resettlement in the U.S.*

* See the USCIS website