Información Legal: Tennessee

Restraining Orders

Ver Todo
9 de noviembre de 2021

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Tennessee?

No.  Only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order.  You cannot have this done by a court in Tennessee.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  To find out more information about how to modify a protection order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Tennessee, you may be able to get a new one issued in Tennessee but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Tennessee.  To find out more information on how to get an protection order in Tennessee, visit our TN Restraining Orders page.

WomensLaw sirve y apoya a todas las personas sobrevivientes sin importar su sexo o género.