WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Tennessee

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
November 27, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Tennessee?

Generally, only the state that issued your out-of-state (“foreign”) protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to change a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order expires while you are living in Tennessee, you may be able to get a new one in Tennessee, but this may be difficult if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in the state. For more information on how to get a protective order in Tennessee, visit our TN Protection Orders page.