WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Pennsylvania

Restraining Orders

View all
December 15, 2023

Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to file for a protection from abuse order, but it is generally better to have one if you can, especially if the abuser has an attorney.  In many places, local domestic violence or sexual assault programs can help you file for a PFA.  The prothonotary, or courthouse official in charge of records, may also be able to give you some forms and information.  Please keep in mind that courthouse officials and domestic violence advocates who are not lawyers cannot give you legal advice or represent you in court.  You will find a list of legal organizations that might be able to help you at the PA Finding a Lawyer page.  You will find contact information for prothonotaries at the PA Courthouse Locations page.

If you are going to be in court without a lawyer, our Preparing for Court – By Yourself section may be useful to you.