WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Pennsylvania

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
December 15, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Pennsylvania?

Only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order.  You cannot have this done by a court in Pennsylvania.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  To find out more information about how to modify an out-of-state restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Pennsylvania, you may be able to get a new one issued in Pennsylvania but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Pennsylvania.  To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Pennsylvania, visit our Protection from Abuse Orders (PFA) page.