WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Pennsylvania

Restraining Orders

View all
February 5, 2020

Can a minor or incapacitated adult file for a protection from sexual violence or intimidation order?

Yes, if you are an emancipated minor, you can file for a protection order (an emancipated minor is someone who has gone through the court process to become legally recognized as an adult). If you are under the age of 18 and not emancipated, a parent, adult household member, or guardian ad litem can file for a protection order on your behalf. A guardian of an incapacitated adult (as decided by a judge) can file for a restraining order on behalf of the adult.1

1 42 Pa.C.S. § 62A05(a)