WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Pennsylvania

Restraining Orders

View all
December 15, 2023

How do I change or extend my protection from sexual violence or intimidation order?

You can extend an ex parte temporary protection from sexual violence or intimidation order if the judge thinks that you are at a continued risk of harm because of the offender’s actions or because of other circumstances. The abuser must be given notice and the opportunity to participate in a hearing before the judge extends your order. The judge can issue an unlimited number of extensions of your order.1

Either party can request that the judge modify (change) the relief granted in a protection order any time while the order is in effect. The party requesting that the judge change the order must give the other party notice of that request. Then, the judge will decide whether or not to change the order after a hearing.2

1 42 Pa.C.S. § 62A07(d)
2 42 Pa.C.S. § 62A17(a)