WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Pennsylvania

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 15, 2023

Who can get a protection from abuse order (PFA)?

If you are an adult (person 18 or over) or emancipated minor, you can seek legal protection from acts of domestic abuse done to you or your minor child by a family or household member, which includes:

  • your husband or ex-husband;
  • your wife or ex-wife;
  • a person who lives or lived with you as a spouse;
  • your brother or sister;
  • your parent or child;
  • a family member related to you by blood or marriage;
  • a current or former sexual or intimate partner; and
  • someone with whom you have a child in common.1

1 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102(a)