Legal Information: Pennsylvania

Restraining Orders

View all
December 15, 2023

Can I extend my protection from abuse order?

You can file to extend your order by returning to the courthouse and filing for an extension of your PFA. The judge can extend a final PFA if s/he believes that:

  1. the abuser committed one or more acts of abuse while you had the final order; or
  2. the abuser behaved in other ways that indicate a continued risk of harm to the you or your child.1

Note: If when you file for an extension, the abuser is in jail and will be released within the next 90 days or the abuser was in jail and was released within the past 90 days, then you do not need to prove either of the two things above to get the order extended.2

If necessary, the order can be extended more than once. There is no limit on the number of extensions that may be granted.3

In addition, if there was a violation of the PFA and a criminal contempt hearing is pending, your PFA will be extended until the end of the criminal hearing and possibly longer.4

1 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 6108(e)(1)(i)
2 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 6108(e)(1)(iii)
3 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 6108(e)(3)
4 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 6108(e)(1)(ii)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.