WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: North Carolina

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 22, 2023

How do I register my protection order in North Carolina?

To register your protection order in North Carolina, go to the Superior Court in your county, and bring the following items:

  1. one copy of your protection order. It does not need to be a certified copy;
  2. the form called “Request and Affidavit to Register and Registration of Out-of-state Domestic Violence Protective Order” (AOC-CV-315), which is available online and at the superior court; and
  3. the form called ”Identifying Information About Defendant Domestic Violence Action” (AOC-CV-312), which is available online and at the superior court.

When you give the forms and the copy of your protection order to the clerk of the court, you will need to swear under oath that to the best of your knowledge, the order is still in effect and nothing about the order has been changed.  Then you will sign the form in front of the clerk. Once the Superior Court receives all of this information from you, the clerk will send a copy to the sheriff who will enter your protection order into the National Crime Information Center Registry (NCIC).1 To find the superior court in your county, go to our NC Courthouse Locations page.

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in North Carolina for assistance.  You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our NC Advocates and Shelters page.

1 NCGS § 50B-3(d)