Legal Information: North Carolina

Restraining Orders

View all
November 27, 2017

What is the legal definition of domestic violence in North Carolina?

This section defines domestic violence for the purposes of getting a domestic violence protective order (DVPO).  Domestic violence in North Carolina is when someone you have had a "personal relationship" with does any of the following to you or your minor child:

  • attempts to cause bodily injury, or intentionally causes bodily injury;
  • places you or a member of your family or household in fear of imminent serious bodily injury;
  • continued harassment (as defined here) that rises to such a level as to inflict substantial emotional distress; or
  • commits any rape or sexual offense listed here in sections 14-27.21 through 14-27.33.*

If you have not had a "personal relationship" with the abuser, harasser or stalker, you may be eligible for a protective order against stalking or harassment.   Please see How can I get an order against stalking or sexual harassment (a civil no-contact order)?

* NCGS § 50B-1(a)