Legal Information: North Carolina

Restraining Orders

View all
February 14, 2022

Who can get a civil no-contact order for victims of registered sex offenders?

If you are the victim of a sex offense (or certain other non-sexual offenses) that occurred in North Carolina or if you are the victim of a substantially similar crime in another state, you may be eligible for a 50D civil no-contact order if:

  • The abuser was convicted of the offense; and
  • The criminal offense requires registration on the sex offender registry.1

You may also be able to file on behalf of a minor child or an incompetent adult who is a victim of registerable sex offense.2

1 NCGS §§ 50D-2(a)(1); 14-208.6(4)(b)
2 NCGS § 50D-2(a)(2),(3)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.