Legal Information: North Carolina

Restraining Orders

View all
December 22, 2023

Do I need anything special to get my DVPO enforced in another state?

In most states, you will need a certified copy of your DVPO. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it. However, in some states you can simply show law enforcement a copy that appears valid on its face for it to be enforced.

If the copy you originally received was not a certified copy, you can go to the court that gave you the order and ask the clerk’s office for a certified copy.


WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.