WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Michigan

Restraining Orders

View all
March 27, 2024

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Michigan?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will usually have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Michigan, you may be able to get a new one issued in Michigan but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Michigan. To find out more information on how to get a personal protection order (PPO) in Michigan, visit our MI Restraining Orders page.