WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Michigan

Restraining Orders

View all
March 27, 2024

What protections can I get in a domestic relationship PPO?

In a domestic relationship personal protection order, a judge may order the abuser to:

  • not go into a specific place;
  • stop assaulting, attacking, beating, molesting or wounding you;
  • stop threatening to kill or physically injure you;
  • not remove minor children from you when you have legal custody of them and removing them is not permitted in the custody or parenting time order;
  • stop stalking you;
  • stop contacting you or harassing you at your workplace, residence, school, child’s daycare;
  • not attend school in the same building as you – but this only applies if you are a minor who has been the victim of sexual assault and you and the abuser are both enrolled in a public or private school from kindergarten to 12th grade;
  • not buy or have in his/her possession a firearm;
  • not interfere with your efforts to remove your children or personal property from premises that are solely owned or leased by the abuser;
  • not interfere with you at your job or school or act in a way that harms your job or school relationship or environment;
  • not have access to information in records concerning a minor child of both you and the abuser that will tell the abuser about the address or telephone number of you/your child or about your work address;
  • not commit stalking or aggravated stalking against you;
  • not commit or threaten to commit any of the following with the intent to cause you mental distress or to exert control over you: injure, kill, torture, or neglect an animal in which you have an ownership interest; not remove the animal from your possession or take/keep the animal; and
  • not do any other specific act or behavior that interferes with your personal liberty or that causes a reasonable fear of violence.1

Whether a judge orders any or all of the above depends on the facts of your case.

1 MCL § 600.2950(1)