Legal Information: Michigan

Restraining Orders

View all
December 15, 2018

Can a PPO be changed, terminated or extended?

You can file an ex parte motion to extend your order (without a hearing) by requesting a new expiration date. The motion to extend must be filed with the court that issued the PPO at least 3 days before the order is set to expire (and the court must act on the motion within 3 days after it is filed). However, even if you don't file the motion to extend on time, you may still be able to start a new PPO proceeding against the abuser.1

You can file a motion to modify (change) or terminate the personal protection order any time after the personal protection order is issued.2 A hearing would be held where both parties can be present and the judge would decide whether or not to grant your request.

There are no fees to file a motion to modify, terminate, or extend a personal protection order.3

Note: The respondent (abuser) has the right to file a motion to modify or terminate an ex parte personal protection order or an ex parte order extending a personal protection order within 14 days after being served with, or receiving actual notice of, the order. If the respondent files any other motion to modify or terminate a personal protection at any other time, s/he must first show that there is "good cause" to do so.4

1 MCR 3.707(B)(1)
2 MCR 3.707(A)(1)(a)
3 MCR 3.707(D)
4 MCR 3.707(A)(1)(b)