Legal Information: Michigan

Restraining Orders

View all
January 4, 2017

Can I get a domestic relationship PPO if I am under the age of 18?

If you are a minor (under 181) you can get a PPO with the assistance of a "next friend." The "next friend" can be a parent or other trusted adult over the age of 18 who will file for the PPO on your behalf. If you are between the ages of 14 - 17, you may be able to appoint a "next friend" to file on your behalf.  If you are 13 or younger, then the court will appoint a "next friend" for you.2  However, unemancipated children are not eligible to file for a domestic relationship PPO against a parent.3

It is best to contact the clerk of court in your area or a local domestic violence organization for more information on how a minors gets a personal protection orders.  Depending on the county the process and forms may be different, but the law is the same. For a list of local organizations in your area, please go to MI Advocates and Shelters page under the Places that Help tab on the top of this page. For a list of courthouses, please go to MI Courthouse Locations.

1 MCR 3.702(6)
2 MCR 3.703(F)
3 MCLA 600.2950(27)(b)