WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Michigan

Restraining Orders

View all
December 7, 2020

What can I do if the abuser violates the order?

You can call the police, even if you think it is a minor violation. It can be a crime and contempt of court if the abuser knowingly violates the order in any way. A judge can punish someone for being in contempt of court if you file a violation/contempt petition in the court where you got the order to report the violation to the judge. In addition, the police can arrest him/her. In Michigan, if an abuser violates a domestic relationship personal protection order and is 17-years-old or older, the police can arrest him/her, and if s/he is found guilty of criminal contempt, the judge can sentence the abuser to serve up to 93 days in prison and pay a $500 fine.1 If the abuser is younger than 17-years-old and violates the order, police can take the abuser into custody and s/he may be subject to juvenile proceedings.2 If the police are not involved or do not arrest him/her, you still have the right to go to the Circuit Court and file a motion for criminal contempt (or motion to show cause) against the abuser.3 It may be a good idea to write down the name of the responding officer(s) and their badge number in case you want to follow up on your case.

1 MCLA 600.2950(11)(a)(i)
2 MCLA 600.2950(11)(a)(ii)
3 Michigan Court Motion and Order to Show Cause for Violating Valid Personal/Foreign Protection Order form.