Legal Information: Puerto Rico

Restraining Orders

View all
December 20, 2022

If I share a cell phone account with the abuser, can I transfer the account into my name?

If you have been given a stalking protection order, you can ask the judge to give you an order to change the responsibility and control of a telephone number (“Orden de Cambio de Responsabilidad y Control sobre Número Telefónico”). This document will order the cell phone company to transfer into your name, at no additional cost, the responsibility, control, and a change of the phone number (if you wish). You can also make the same changes and transfers for the phone numbers of any minors in your custody and request that all personal information be removed from any directory or listing at no additional cost. You will have 30 days from being given the order to make these changes.1

1 8 L.P.R.A. § 640a

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.